To serve 3-4, you need:
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 medium-sized onions, chopped
- 4-6 potatoes, washed and cut in thick slices
- 1 teaspoon
brownblack mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 Hokkaido pumpkin, cut in bite-sized cubes (not peeled)
- ½ litre water
- 2 tablespoons concentrated tomato purée
Heat the oil in a large wok or pot, then fry the onions until transparent. Add mustard seeds and caraway seeds and fry until the onion is golden.
Reduce heat to very low. Add paprika and pumpkin cubes, stir well. Immediately add water, tomato purée, salt and pepper, stirring continuously. Turn up heat and bring to boil.
Reduce heat and let simmer for 20 minutes. Server with white bread.
is there much difference between the brown mustard
seeds cited here and the grey/black version used , say, in indian cuisine?
Actually, I meant to write "black" mustard seeds, because that's what I used. The brown ones are larger and have a milder taste, but are similar.