- 1 aubergine (eggplant)
- 80ml oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 piece ginger (about 4cm), chopped
- 2 medium-sized onions, chopped
- 2-3 green chillies, chopped
- 80ml chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons black pean paste
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 4 spring onions, cut in thin stripes
Slice the aubergine. Carefully heat some of the oil in a frying pan and slowly fry the aubergine slices over very low heat until brown. When all the slices have been fried, put them aside
Heat the remaining oil in the pan, add onions, garlic, chillies and ginger and cook for a few minutes until the onions are transparent. Then add the chicken stock (vegetarians use vegetable stock instead), black bean paste, soy sauce, oyster sauce and fish sauce. Bring to boil and let simmer for 2 minutes. Then add the aubergine slices and let simmer for another 2 minutes. Finally, add the spring onions and serve.
Serve with rice.