You are just ten minutes away from one of the most delicious ways of eating kidney beans. Serves 3-4, or a side dish for up to 8.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 whole dried red chilies
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 large pinch asafoetida
- 15 curry leaves
- ½ can tomatoes with juice, finely grated
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 fresh green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, squeezed through a garlic press
- 1" piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Heat the oil in a wok, then add the whole dried red chilies, the mustard seeds, the cumin seeds and the asafoetida.
As soon as the seeds begin to pop, add the curry leaves and tomatoes. Stir well, then add turmeric, corainder, cumin, green chilies, garlic, ginger, sugar and salt. Bring to boil and let simmer for five minutes.
Add the beans, stir well and let simmer for a few more minutes. Serve with rice or bread.