A spicy Indian-inspired eggplant dish. Can be used as a side-dish or on its own.
- 2 eggplants, cut in stripes
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon hot chili powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons ghee or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon dark mustard seeds
- 1 onion, chopped
Bring 1 litre water to boil, add garlic and eggplants and let simmer for about ten minutes.
In the meantime, mix coriander, salt, pepper, chili powder, ginger and lemon juice so that you get a spicy paste.
In a large pan, heat the ghee. Add the onion and mustard seeds. Fry until the oinion has become transparent. Add the drained eggplant. Stir-fry for five minutes.
Reduce heat, keep stir-frying the eggplant for another 10 minutes, adding a teaspoon of the spicy paste every minute or so. The eggplants are ready when all the liquid has evaporated.