Upon popular request, here is a mild chicken curry. It's a very simple, straightforward recipe that produces a creamy, slightly sour chicken curry. Serves four.
- 2 large onions, cut in rings
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 5-6 tablespoons ghee or oil
- 800g boneless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 250ml yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon concentrated tomato purée
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- salt to taste
Heat the ghee in a large pan or wok, then add onions, garlic and ginger and fry until brown. Add chicken pieces, yoghurt, tomato purée, coriander, cumin, turmeric and salt. Stir well and let cook over medium heat until all the liquid has evaporated (this should take about 20 minutes).
Add 2 cups of water, stir well, bring to boil and let simmer until the meat is tender (another 30-40 minutes or so). Add more water if it evaporates too quickly. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve immediately with rice or bread.